Name of Object:
The Laboratories of the Istituto delle Scienze of Bologna
Also known as:
The Visit of Frederick Christian of Poland to the Istituto delle Scienze of Bologna
Archivio di Stato
Date of Object:
Artist(s) / Craftsperson(s):
Antonio Alessandro Scarselli (1684, Bologna-1773, Bologna)
Museum Inventory Number:
ASBo, Anziani Consoli, Insignia, volume XIII, c. 140
Material(s) / Technique(s):
Illumination on parchment
400 x 530 mm
Workshop / Movement:
Eighteenth-century Bolognese illuminator and engraver
Archive of the Bolognese Senate
Type of object:
Period of activity:
Place of production:
The Insignia degli Anziani Consoli, housed in the Archivio di Stato, of Bologna, are documents on parchment commissioned every two months, from 1530 to 1796. These bound 16 volumes celebrate the eight Anziani Consoli and the Gonfaloniere di Giustizia, a group of ruling magistrates. From the end of the sixteenth-century the names of the magistrates were written flanked by their coats of arms and a depiction of a significant event that took place during the bimester of their charge. These manuscripts provide an extraordinary visual chronicle illustrating more than two centuries of the city's history with six pictures a year. This picture, refers to the last bimester of 1739, shows the inside of the Istituto delle Scienze of Bologna during the visit of prince Frederick Christian of Poland. The prince is sitting examining a fortress plan. In the background are visible from the left: the anatomy room, the school of the nude, and the Institute library. On the top is the coat of arms of the eight Anziani Consoli and in the middle, that of the Gonfaloniere di Giustizia.View Short Description
This illumination shows the Istituto delle Scienze of Bologna during the visit of Prince Frederick Christian of Poland. In the middle of the scene, the prince is examining a fortress plan; in the background it is possible to see the rooms of the Istituto.
Anziani Consoli of the town of Bologna
How date and origin were established:
The date of the illumination (1739, last bimester), the subject depicted and the patronage (the Anziani Consoli of Bologna) are inscribed in the caption, below the picture.
How Object was obtained:
This illumination, like the whole series, has always been housed in the archive of the Bolognese senate, inside the municipal palace. It was transferred to the Archivio di Stato in 1874, when it was created.
Plessi, G. Le Insignia degli Anziani del Comune dal 1530 al 1796. Catalogo-Inventario, Rome, 1954.
Citation of this web page:
Massimo Giansante "The Laboratories of the Istituto delle Scienze of Bologna" in "Discover Baroque Art", Museum With No Frontiers, 2021. http://baroqueart.museumwnf.org/database_item.php?id=object;BAR;it;Mus13_C;37;en